Webmasters and inbound marketing professionals can utilize the tips and tools listed below to achieve the best ranking in search engine results.
What is SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the quality and quantity of website traffic to a website or a web page from search engines. SEO targets unpaid traffic rather than direct traffic or paid traffic.
Basic SEO Practices for Web Development
Here are some quick but important SEO steps for the beginners to follow:
- Make website structure crawlable by search engine
- Use fast web hosting service
- Include right words in Meta Keywords tag, do proper keyword research
- Include Meta Description tag and write most appropriate description of your pages
- Title tag should be included on all the pages
- Don’t forget to optimize the images, include ALT image tag
- Make sure that the code passes W3C validation
- URL structure should be shorter than 2,083 characters
- Verify SSL certificate installation with SSL Labs
- Use PageSpeed Insights tool to check performance of web pages
- Use Schema Validator to validate Schema markup
- Use Google's Rich Results to preview markup of search results
- Use Mobile Friendly Tool to preview responsiveness of specific web pages
- Use some comprehensive analysis tool to optimize your website, we recommend Google Analytics
This list is not exhaustive and other tools should be considered as well.