This article provides a guide for how to create Operating System selection via product Configurable Options in WHMCS. This article is intended for use with VPS Reseller WHMCS module integration.
Create Operating System Selection Via Product Configurable Options
Using Configurable Options to configure order form Operating System selection is more extensible and easier to manage from an administrative perspective if you plan to offer multiple VPS products. The Product Custom Fields OS selection values are assigned directly to each individual product, and thus require more efforts to make a change to the OS selector, like adding a new operating system template. With custom fields OS method, the simple addition of 1 new template requires manual modification of each product’s custom fields.
With Operating System Configurable Options implementation, a single Configurable Option can be assigned to multiple products, and an update to the Configurable Option values automatically applies to all assigned products. In this type of situation, Configurable Options can provide the same results while also reducing the number of database entries written and reduces administrative work when changes are needed.
Follow the steps to add Operating System selection via Product Configurable Options:
- Login to WHMCS admin.
- Create new Configurable Options group
- Add new Configurable Option named “Operating System” (exact name required)
- Select “Drop-Down” from the Format options
- For each Operating System template option you wish to offer, enter the value exactly as it appears in the “Name” field from the table provided in the List of Available OS Templates (as described below)
- Assign the Configurable Options group to VPS products by selecting the Product Names from the products list provided in Configurable Options group settings.
Now, the list of OS templates will be presented to client at checkout when a VPS product is added to the Shopping Cart.
For complete details on creating Configurable Options, please refer to this article from WHMCS.
Values for Available OS Templates
Rad Web Hosting keeps a public list of available KVM OS templates in the Knowledgebase, at: VPS Guides -> List of Available OS Templates
The highlighted values from the “Name” column (shown in the below image) are the API-acceptable values for operating system templates. For example, “centos-8.2-x86_64” or “ubuntu-20.04-x86_64” (without parenthesis) would be the correct values required by the API.
You now know how to create Operating System selection via product Configurable Options in WHMCS.