How to Create a Subdomain in cPanel
A subdomain is a subsection of your website that exists as a subdirectory in your public_html folder. Subdomains use a prefix in conjunction with the domain name. For example, if the registered domain name was
example.com, the subdomain will be
It is important to remember that it takes time for the subdomain to become recognized by other computers on the web. Visitors will not be able to view your subdomain immediately; the process takes anywhere from 2 days to a week.
Subdomains can be useful for creating unique user accounts for “vanity domains.” This is helpful if, for example, you have a blog, or any other type of website that uses a domain specifically titled for a user.
To create a subdomain:
- Enter the desired prefix in the Subdomain field.
- Select the desired main domain from the pull-down menu.
- Enter the home directory for the subdomain into the Document Root field.
- This directory will be where files pertaining to the subdomain will be placed.
- Click Create.
To open the subdomain’s main directory with the File Manager:
- Click the link under Document Root that corresponds to the subdomain you would like to view in the File Manager.
To enable or disable redirection of a subdomain:
- Click the Manage Redirection link corresponding to the subdomain you wish to manage.
- If you wish to redirect the subdomain, enter the link you would like to redirect the subdomain to in the available text field.
- Click Save.
- To disable the redirect, click Disable Redirection.
To remove an existing subdomain:
- Click the Remove link corresponding to the subdomain you would like to remove.
- Confirm that you would like to remove the subdomain by clicking Yes.
- To keep the subdomain, click No.
You may also search through existing domains:
- Enter the search criteria into the Search field.
- Click Go.
Results matching your search criteria will populate the list.
Was this answer helpful?
You may block access to your website from specific IP addresses using .htaccess file. You need to...
This is a guide to Install the WHMCS Reseller Module that is available for free with purchase of...
CloudLinux is the operating system used on the servers for shared hosting, reseller hosting,...
To perform DNS forwarding, change your zone file, (MX, A-Records & CNAME) using the...
This article will provide a step-by-step guide to fix incorrect account quotas and disk usage on...